Tuesday 2 March 2010

The Kabuliwala


A drifter had come to our door a few days ago asking for food and clothes. He reminded me verymuch of the Kabuliwala from Tagore's Story. Maybe I will see him again someday, maybe I wont. I would like to think that he has a home with a wife and a little daughter to go back to. He did not by any means look evil or the kind who'd have drugged kidnapped children in his sack. He looked a bit gloomy and weary though.The cynic in me tells me that it could have been a practiced expression. One that he puts on every time after ringing a doorbell. Maybe its just my defense mechanism getting triggered so as to not let me feel guilty about being unable to do anything remarkably kind for him. But he seemed grateful for what little he received - old clothes and some fruits. As the days pace by, I couldn't help but take some time off to doodle my version of him. Maybe deep down inside me, there still is a hint of guilt!

1 comment:

Ambica Banu said...

hi!!
your illustrations are simply awesome!!!!
and your blogs entries make interesting read too. nice to see your wild imagination being translated into expressive sketches.

have fun sketching.. u sure seem to already! :)